Friday, March 5, 2010

"hot" Pelican


Sometimes you're photographing in the worst possible light. We are with Nik's Laurie and Tony at the San Diego Wild Animal Park, hoping for clouds.....but, not in San Diego! The contrast was so high on the original image that it was barely manageable, highlights still blown out in the bird and not quite black enough in the background. Being an avid Nik user, I was sufficiently able to Nik-o-fy this image to a whole new interpretation using Midnight from the Color Efex Pro collection, which added the "glow." Then I used Viveza2 to brighten up the feet, the front of the beak, and the tail, then to completely blacken the background.

4 comments:

  1. Thx for all of your king comments, Gretchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shoot pelicans all the time in Southwest Louisiana. Pelicans and sun never seem to cooperate. I tried this technique. You are too great and now so are my blown out pelicans.
    Luv my Nik software and the webinars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent, Marilyn! Glad to hear it!!

    ReplyDelete