Monday, March 15, 2010

Infrared Glow


Although there are software infrared plugins, and they can work on occasion, infrared subjects can render as black and white when converted to IR in software. For example, software cannot determine that dark green kelp is actually in the infrared spectrum, rendering as B&W. True infrared can only be captured digitally by having one of your older cameras converted to infrared. However, anyone who has processed film infrared (an ever dwindling number...), the attraction is the over processed glow. I have been trying to achieve the glow effect and it can be achieved in several ways, all a bit different, but one of my favorite ways to get the infrared glow is to take your adjusted infrared image into Nik's Color Efex Pro. The Midnight filter can work, but is a very different interpretation, working best on very bright to slightly over exposed images. On this image, the Glamour Glow filter was used to create the sense of depth and infrared glow. Don't be fooled by the name (it sounds like something to use on a fashion photography subject).
Glamour Glow is one of my most used Nik filters!

7 comments:

  1. Hey Tony,

    Good post and great IR view of Magnolia. The Glamour Glow really makes this image sing...

    Being a IR junkie (all your fault) I use Nik's Color Efex Pro filters on them a lot. I often use the Tonal Contrast filter first, sometimes more than once and then run the Glamour Glow filter to get the feeling I'm looking for...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glamour Glow is one of my favorites as well. I love the way your image turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the look you get, Sam! Whatever you're doing, keep it up!!

    Thanks for chiming in Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice IR pics. I do some IR stuff with people and your comments are good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tony - this is a great page for those of us struggling in our digital darkrooms trying to seriously get our heads around the huge potential offered in Nik's complete suite of filters. I'm really grateful to have access to this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found your blog through Photofocus.com and this post was very timely since I just had a Canon PowerShot S3 IS converted to IR only.

    Could you set up an RSS feed?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comments, guys! and there is an RSS feed.

    ReplyDelete