Friday, March 5, 2010

Balanced Rock


This image from Peggy's Cove Nova Scotia, originally made in color, worked fine until I got into nik's Silver Efex Pro. As I was learning the software, going through pre-existing images, it became clear that certain types of images work better than others. In the series, the sky was soft and pastel in color, consequently lacked visual punch. The light was not as contrasty as I had hoped, so the rock also had a flat look. I took this into Silver Efex Pro and, working off of the Antique Plate preset, tried to give the image more depth, but applying the "Structure" adjustment to the boulder and by allowing the highlights to blow out around it to increase separation.

8 comments:

  1. Great work and I love nik's Silver Efex Pro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lou!! I think it's the best thing out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad they won't produce Silver Efex for Nik's Capture NX2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thx PJ!

    Anonymous: I'm not sure if you if you have the paint option available in NX, but it is available in PS. All of the nik pros that I know, work in PS because the paint option is available.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tony,

    I am quite impressed with the opening photo of the fall tree. It seems to have a paintery effect. What Nik filters did you use for that effect. Nice image!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your post and it was superb .I would like to hear more from you in future too.

    ReplyDelete